Archives
CARDS
Sheets
Checklists
Lists
Lists
PROMOS
Lounges

Go Back   TRADING CARD MUSEUM > TRADING CARD FORUMS > NonSPORT Card Forums > NonSport NEWS & ARTICLES
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NonSport NEWS & ARTICLES All the news that's fit for NonSport trading cards.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
MuseumArchivist
~ Curator Team ~

My Rank: I'M EXCITED ~ 25+ Posts ~ Going for 101!

News The 10 priciest collectible cards

Baseball, football, and other sports trading cards can be worth a pretty penny, but there's a sprawling universe of "non-sports" trading cards out there, too. And while none of them can quite match up to a nice Honus Wagner, there's still no shortage of money changing hands over these collectibles.

Here are ten of the most valuable collectible cards out there, but be warned: if the thought of printed bits of thin cardboard selling for thousands of dollars makes your blood pressure climb, you may want to have your meds at hand.

Pokemon: Pikachu Illustrator
Price: About $20,000
"Gotta catch 'em all" claims the catchphrase of this celebrated franchise. Doing that with Pokemon trading cards, though, might require a second Pokemortgage.
The rarest find in the game the belle of the Pokeball, you might say -- is this Pikachu Illustrator card. Never officially sold, never released in English, and worth somewhere around $20,000, the cards were given away as prizes in a Japanese drawing contest and only four are thought to exist. Good luck finding one and good luck paying it off.

Magic: The Gathering: Alpha Black Lotus
Price: $3,000-$4,000
Expensive, addictive, and fantastically successful, Magic: The Gathering remains one of the most popular trading card games in the world and that popularity has fueled a thriving card-collector market that's been worth big bucks for years.
Here's a case in point: the game's Black Lotus card, widely regarded as the priciest regular-issue Magic card in existence. Fans say it's one of the best cards in the entire game, but good luck finding out: not only does it cost as much as a perfectly good car, it's typically restricted or banned outright in competitive Magic play.

World of Warcraft CCG: Spectral Tiger
Price: $500-$700
The World of Warcraft collectable card game isn't quite as famous as the online RPG that inspired it, but the clever synergy between the two games is buoying up card values nevertheless.
At about $600, this Spectral Tiger is a fine example. A valuable card in its own right, it's given extra appeal by the unique code each one carries. Redeem it on the World of Warcraft web site, and your in-game alter-ego will be rewarded with an ultra-rare tiger on which to parade about. Needless to say, this'll destroy the card's collector value it's a one-shot deal. But think of what it'll do for your Azeroth street cred.

Pokemon: Charizard, First Edition
Price: $2,000-$2,500
The fierce, fire-breathing Charizard is a familiar face to any Pokefan, but his corresponding trading card is a much rarer sight.
Holographic versions from the first edition of the Pokemon game, printed in 1999, can easily be worth thousands if in pristine condition. It might be tricky finding such loot -- plenty of cards out there purport to be in mint condition, but only a few actually make the cut and are worth the dough.
Still, with tons of hit points and a devastatingly powerful attack, this particular collectible isn't just a treasure -- it's a potential game-winner to boot.

Garbage Pail Kids: Nasty Nick, First Series
Price: Around $600
Grotesque, gory, and surreal, the Garbage Pail Kids cards appeared as a reaction to the dough-faced Cabbage Patch Kids dolls that were all the rage in the 1980s. Much to our surprise, there are apparently still collectors of both.
But which cards fetch the most dough? A highly sought-after proof version of the famous Adam Bomb Garbage Pail card is currently for sale for the remarkable sum of $4,250, but we think that price is a bit optimistic. Instead, try to track down a mint condition of Nasty Nick, the first card (1a) in the first series, as a copy recently sold for over $600.

Superman Trading Cards, 1940
Price: $300-$500
Not all valuable trading cards are new releases. Dating from the 1940s, this series of Man of Steel trading cards is nearly as old as the much-loved character himself. Mint-condition examples are rare and, considering they were originally little more than bubble-gum wrappers, highly valuable.
Single cards can fetch several hundred dollars, and an uncut sheet of 24 sold at auction in 2010 for over $15,000. If you're lucky enough to have a complete, 72-strong set of the 1940 line, its estimated worth is around $20,000.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Cyber Stein
Price: $400-$500
No, this card doesn't depict a robotic German drinking vessel, unfortunately. Instead, it's a comparatively boring cybernetic version of Frankenstein's monster.
Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, however: back in 2004, according to reports, one sold for a frankly monstrous $23,000. Not a good investment, as it turns out: that same card sells for a "mere" few hundred dollars these days.

Mickey Mouse trading cards, circa 1930s
Price: : $50-$150
Boasting a name that's an instant passport to collector cachet, it's not surprising that old Mickey Mouse trading cards can be worth a bundle.
This 1930s set of cards took a cunning step to encourage kids to collect them: each one carried half a joke or riddle, with the second part printed on a different card. Individual cards are worth anywhere from $25 to $150 depending on rarity and condition; getting your hands on a full set (and all the answers) will run as much as $4,000.

Digimon: Lucemon Gold Print
Price: $400
Though it began life as a tamogotchi, the Digimon franchise eventually ballooned into a viable competitor to Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon. And while its cards don't quite have the same collectors appeal as some other trading-card franchises, that's not to say that they're completely without value.
Take this ultra-rare gold print of favorite Digimon bad guy Lucemon: one recently fetched a healthy $400 on eBay. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Tyler the Great Warrior
Price: Unknown
Only one of these Yu-Gi-Oh cards was ever made, and it's never been sold.
It's the work of a unique collaboration between Yu-Gi-Oh maker 4Kids Entertainment, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and Tyler Gressle, a teenage fan of the game who was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2002. Tyler beat his cancer, earning him the "Great Warrior" sobriquet -- and as he'd always wanted to design his own Yu-Gi-Oh card, the nice folks at Make-A-Wish arranged for him to team up with 4Kids to make his dream come true. The Tyler the Great Warrior card was the result.
As to its value, your guess is as good as ours; right now, it's pretty much priceless.

Source: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugg...232119394.html
MuseumArchivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Willowfan
Distinguished Member

My Rank: ZIRCONIA ~ 101+ Posts ~ Going for 250!

Whoevever wrote this had no basic knowledge of trading card collecting. While obviously omitting autographs and sketch cards, the writer mentions instead a special one-of-one card made special for a boy and a japanese card which only 4 are known to exist.
He mentions older cards, the Superman and Disney sets, but omits the US Caramel Presidents set from the 1930's one card (McKinley) has sold in auction for over $10,000. Horrors of War card 283 is valued at $1000. He lists Garbage Pail Kids, but forgets to mention Wacky Packages, which has rare cards valued at over $1000. And how about the oldest card in non-sport history, The Marquis of Lorne - $10,000.
Willowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
ErikTheArchitect
~ Moderator ~ Curator Team

My Rank: AMETHYST ~ 1500+ Posts ~ Going for 2000!

Location: Marietta Georgia USA (Just a little NW of HAZZARD County)
Rep Power: 1136 ErikTheArchitect has a spectacular aura aboutErikTheArchitect has a spectacular aura about
Not to mention the absurd prices fetched for Honus Wagner Cigarette cards from the early 20th century!

See LAG's post http://www.tradingcardspace.com/comm...ead.php?t=4322
ErikTheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
MuseumArchivist
~ Curator Team ~

My Rank: I'M EXCITED ~ 25+ Posts ~ Going for 101!

Seems like someone really did not do their research very well on this article, but, that's why it was posted here, so that those who actually have some real knowledge could comment in a place such as here and provide a little more reality based insight.

Just in browsing this forum, especially with the promo cards, seems like there are quite a few that should have made this list. The Superman SW1 and the Star Wars Split Level promo card I've seen discussed seems like they would have been great candidates among many others. I think this article came at it from a wide audience standpoint and wanted to present subjects that might be familiar more to the masses.
MuseumArchivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
beamer
Museum Member

You all missed the boat on this one. Those are gaming cards. They have nothing to do with non-sport cards at all. Period.
They should be posted in a different forum. Not here.
beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
MuseumCurator
The Curator Team
My Rank: BLACK ONYX ~ 1000+ Posts ~ Going for 1500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer View Post
You all missed the boat on this one. Those are gaming cards. They have nothing to do with non-sport cards at all. Period.
They should be posted in a different forum. Not here.

I agree to a certain extent, but there is a GPK, Superman and a Mickey Mouse in that list

I think the problem, to the outside world the term NonSport is taken at it's word and since none of these cards are Sports related, they would fit the profile of anyone not 'in the know' of what NonSport really means or IS. I know it took us quite a while when we first started collecting and getting involved in NonSport cards to understand just what the heck the term meant.

An interesting perspective would be the same approach with the top 10 real 'NonSport' cards. I'm not sure if even the those three I mentioned above would even make the list at all.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
beamer
Museum Member

Sorry, I thought it was clear I was talking about the cards other than the true non sport cards. Any kind of gaming card, no matter what subject should not be considered non-sport cards. In my book, they are not. I hate going on ebay and listed under non-sport cards are more gaming cards then there are the real thing.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Philymundo
Museum Member

My Rank: EXPLORER ~ 2+ Posts ~ Going for 10!

Could anyone here tell me anything about these Superman Trading Card reprints with these backs?:

I've been searching high and low, but I can't seem to find any reprints like them.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Philymundo : 04-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Philymundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
RhondaHavlock
Rhonda ~ Curator Team

So you've got me thinking beamer. I'm curious now as to how ACEO, Art Cards, and Sketch Cards are viewed. Are they considered to be non-sport cards as a general rule, as beamer states for the gaming cards? Should they be considered in a class of their own? Or are they/should they be considered as a sub-category or non-sports?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Willowfan
Distinguished Member

Arrow

Beamer will probably have a good answer to this one too - but I think this catagory should be limited to cards that can be found in packs, and not one-of-one cards. That would eliminate art and sketches, some of which can command pretty steep prices. Also, it would eliminate promo cards, some of which are very limited.

So the rarest and most expensive non-sport cards would include base, inserts, costume or relic cards and autographs. I can't think offhand of any autographs that would be valued at extremely high prices, maybe the Disney cut autograph inserted in packs a few years ago.
Willowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
robspromos
Distinguished Member

Don't forget about the Popes autograph card, i can't remember which set it came out of, but it went for a few thousand.
robspromos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
robspromos
Distinguished Member

Non-Sport Cards is covered by a hugh Umbrella.

I like your thinking Willowfan.

Next time someone stars a thread like this, i think they'll have to be a lot more specific, eg, "The Most Expensive Card found in a packet of Cards" or "The Most Expensive Non-Sport Card found in a packet of Cards" or even "The Most Expensive Card in the World", just my 2c worth.
robspromos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
beamer
Museum Member

Ok. Remember this is my opinion only. I consider non sport cards trading cards that come from a foil, cello or premium pack or box. They could also come from cereal boxes or other promotions like t-cards from cigarettes or even a fast food establishment. So if you pull an autograph, prop, costume, base, chase, foil, prism, 3D, lenticular, gold foil, sketch, etc, these ARE non sport cards.

But if you play a game with the card, it is not a non sport card. It's a gaming card.

Now, as for promos, I do not consider these non sport cards either. I wrote an article in NSU (can I mention that here?) about the cons of promo cards and I have received nasty emails on this topic in the past.

Promo cards are a genre by themselves. These are free cards made by manufacturers to promote a new product. Manufacturers don't sell them. These are samples that advertise a new product or represent a topic or even a function. And most promo card collectors just collect the promos. They do not support the manufacturer by purchasing the product it promotes. If a promo is made for a specific product, and the collector only collects the promo and not the product, then they are not non-sport card collectors. They are promo card collectors. This goes for those who ONLY collect promos.

So promos are not non sports cards either.

Remember, this is my opinion. No hate mail, please.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
MuseumCurator
The Curator Team

Haha, are you kidding. You opinions are always welcomed and valued here Beamer. And of course you can mention NSU here, just not vice versa from our understanding That is the beauty of it all though too, not everyone's idea of what nonsport is, is going to be the same. To me it actually covers anything that is... well.... non sport, period. Though that definition can certainly be broken down into a multitude of sub-niches such as general nonsport, art cards such as ATC & ACEO, Promo Cards of course and even Game cards. There are even many others that I would classify into nonsport too, such as mutoscopes, tobacco and tea cards, and even modern day gift cards would fall into the same fold.

I would love to know if there is any sort of 'official' definition of the term located somewhere, does anyone know. Where did this term originate?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Tilford
Mike ~ Curator Team

My Rank: AMETHYST ~ 1500+ Posts ~ Going for 2000!

Don't get me started on the promo collector not being a non-sport card collector. Luckily, I have a way out of Michael's thoughts... I do have a lot of base sets, some autograph and costume cards, and other items, so I do not just collect promos although that is my main interest.

I guess by Michael's definition, the person who compiles NSU's price guide is not a non-sport card collector. He collects promo cards and sketch cards...

Michael my friend, we will have to agree to disagree!

Mike.
Tilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
lag30240
~ Moderator ~ Curator Team

My Rank: RUBY ~ 500+ Posts ~ Going for 750!

Rep Power: 698 lag30240 will become famous soon enoughlag30240 will become famous soon enough
Some words on the subject from a great American:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0
lag30240 is offline   Reply With Quote